29 June 2014

Gathered Cornice

Recently, I'm very busy decorating my newborn niece and future goddaughter's nursery room. I'm almost finishing. I bought my first upholstery stapler and I was so excited to make something with. So, my first project was this gathered cornice. I had my own idea and I searched for something similar on Pinterest to show my sister how it would look and couldn't find it. At the end was more beautiful that I imagined. No complaints from my sister (my niece's mom).
The instructions next…

Materials:
  • Measuring tape
  • Paper
  • Pencil
  • 1/2" MDF board
  • Coping saw
  • Wood file
  • 1"x4"x8' clear pine board (cut at your hardware store the size you want)
  • 1" cocks
  • Screwdriver gun tool
  • Grinder or hacksaw
  • 2 flat spring tension rod (cut at your hardware store the size you want)
  • Rod holders
  • Screws
  • Nylon cord
  • Stapler
  • Staples
  • Foam to fabric adhesive spray
  • Foam
  • 5 Yards of fabric 
  • Upholstery track strips
  • Level
  • Drill
  • Brackets
  • Anchor

From the beggining to the end...
    Measure your window. Draw your design on paper at least 8" wider. Only a half, if you want it symmetrical. Cut it. Then draw it on the MDF board.
    Cut the MDF board by the line with an electric coping saw. You can also do it with a manual one. For me (stealing my brother's tools) was kind of difficult to do it perfectly, so I used a wood file to make rounded edges smoother. I asked my local hardware store to cut the right lines. I only cut the rounded because they don't do that.
    Some cocks to assemble. 
     I used a screwdriver tool to assemble easier.
    You can also use a manual screwdriver.
    The pine board.
     Assemble the pine board pieces with cocks and screwdriver gun tool.
     It looks this way assembled.
    I used an electric grinder to cut the rods to size. For your safe use clear glasses. You can also ask to be cut at your local hardware store or use a hacksaw.
    Some materials: nylon cord, stapler, staples, foam to fabric adhesive spray, foam, fabric and upholstery track strips.
    Cut the foam to cover front and sides of your cornice, 1" bigger.
     Staple carefully all around.
     Gather the fabric and staple, similar to the foam.
    Pipe the cord by sewing machine. Also, you can do it directly with staples if you don't have one. But this is the easier way.
     Staple all the piping on top and bottom. Cut leftovers.
    Cover with the upholstery track strips and more fabric.
    It looks this way behind. But nobody sees that side, so you don't need to be as perfectionist as me.
    Drill your wall about 4" over the window. Use a level if you're not sure the window is right leveled. Insert anchors (ask your local hardware store which ones are better for your wall). Screw the brackets. 
    The Screws, two are enough.
    Screw rod holders. Place the cornice over the brackets and draw into the bracket's holes. Drill a bit (It will make easier to screw on brackets).
    Place universal track carries and clips in rod. Then place rods in holders.
    Universal track carries and clips.
    Place a simple transparent curtain behind and two blackout curtain in front.
    This is how the gathered cornice looks.
    Done!

    Note: I'm very interested to learn more english, so if you find some mistakes, I will appreciate if you leave a comment to let me know.
    Thanks for reading!

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment